CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, March 29, 2009

When all the lights were OFF



We have forgotten how to be good guests, how to walk lightly on the Earth as its other creatures do.

- Stockholm Conference, Only One Earth, 1972

What were you doing last night from 8.30pm-9.30pm? Were you enjoying some interesting TV programmes with your loved ones? Or were you gluing yourselves to the computer, chatting or watching Youtube? If your answer is any one of these, you are probably the irresponsible guest to our beloved earth.

What was I doing at that hour then? Well, I was looking around my neighborhood, sending sms and thinking about what I was going to write for this post. All those activities were done simultaneously with all the lights off. Yeah, I'm talking about the Earth Hour Campaign; the campaign that aimed at educating people from every corner of the globe on the effects of global warming.

When I first heard about this campaign in few days back, I couldn't stop thinking how many of us would actually participate in it. Then I realized I have no rights in controlling other people's behaviour and actions. So, I asked myself, "Would you support this campaign?, Would you do what you think is right regardless of what others say and think of you?". In a heart beat, I got the answer from the bottom of my heart - - - YES, I WOULD.

And there I was, sitting in the total darkness, wondering why there was only one house (which is mine) in my neighborhood with all the lights off. To my relief,
I found a friend of mine who saw eye to eye with me in this awareness campaign. She was on duty at a department store. To show her support in this green campaign, she daringly switched off the lights of her counter regarless of the consequences.

While I was observing all these in the dark, the clock ticked away that single hour in a wink. Pleased with myself, I reminded myself to always appreciate what I've got and to sacrifice for the good of all. Let's drink to the long life of our earth!!!


2 comments:

yienyien said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SuSan said...

You're absolutely right in saying that saving the earth is a daily routine activity. BUT, if people were not willing to give their support even in that single hour, I doubt whether they would do it in a daily routine?! It's the awareness of the global issues that counts...not really the act of switching lights off in that one hour. Anyway, glad to have your comment here. Thanks. Cheers.